1,000 Books Before Kindergarten
On behalf of the 1,000 Books Foundation, the Hinsdale Public Library invites you to participate in this self-paced program. Begin reading to your child as a baby or even during pregnancy. Have fun reading as a family!
Why? Studies show that reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding. Other benefits include stimulating brain development and building language, literacy, and social-emotional skills that will last a lifetime.
- Come to the Library to sign up, download the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten app through your app store, or print this log at home to get started. Download to your Apple device. Download to your Android device.
- Read books to your child and mark each number on the reading log.
- Keep repeating step 2!
- When you finish 100 books, bring in your reading log to receive a sticker and a new sheet.
- When your child completes 1,000 books, a book will be donated in their name to the Library. Parents will get a special treat, as well!
Things to keep in mind:
- If you read only one bedtime story every night for three years, you’ll have read 1,095 books.
- Keep track of books that your child hears at storytime, day care, and/or preschool.
- Books from anywhere count, not just ones that were checked out from HPL.
Visit 1000booksbeforekindergarten.org for more information