Library Services FAQ
This page was last updated in 2022 when service levels were still changing. Regular library services have resumed.
- Is the Library open?
- The Library is open: M-Th 9am-9pm, Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 1pm-5pm
- Most regular library services have resumed.
- Indoor mask requirements in most public places, including the Library, have been lifted. More on the state mandate here. Staff and visitors are welcome to continue wearing masks and all decisions will be respected.
- How can I stay connected to the Library?
- How can I check out materials?
- The Library is open for browsing and checkout and other services.
- How can I download digital content?
- The Library offers eBooks, eAudiobooks, magazines, music, and movies for download or streaming. Get started at our Downloadables page.
- I don’t know my PIN. Can I reset it?
- Visit the Hinsdale Library catalog page and click Sign In.
- I am a Hinsdale resident, but I don’t have a library card. Can I apply for one online?
- Yes, you can apply for a card online. A physical card will be mailed to you. Apply here.
- Can I return items or drop off donations?
- The outdoor book drop is available 24/7.
- The book return in the lobby is available during regular Library hours.
- Book donations are accepted during regular Library hours at the front desk. Please do not put donations in the book drop.
- Drive up donations are also accepted on the second Saturday of each month in Circle Drive. Bins are provided by Discover Books.
- I returned items, but they are still on my account.
- We are no longer quarantining items, but there still may be up to a 24-hour delay in removing items from your account.
- Can I get items from other libraries?
- Yes, items can be requested from other libraries.
- Will the Library have new materials?
- New items are being ordered and processed. Shipping delays and shortages have affected some deliveries.
- How are you handling and disinfecting materials?
- Due to current guidance and low surface transmission rate, we are no longer quarantining items.
- How are staff staying safe?
- All Library staff have access to personal protective equipment (PPE) and are trained on hygiene requirements and infection control practices. Inside the building, staff are practicing social distancing and handling materials only when necessary.
Programs and meetings
- Are there programs?
- Yes! A variety of programs are being presented virtually and in-person. Take home activities are also available. Check out our Events page.
- Are meeting and study rooms available for booking?
- Meeting rooms and study rooms are available. HPL cardholders may reserve rooms in advance. Call 630.986.1976 or reserve online. The Quiet Room is also available.
Trusted Resources for COVID-19
- Local and national sources for COVID-19 information is available here.