Library Services FAQ
FAQ: Library Services During COVID
- Is the Library open?
- Yes, the building is open with limited services and NEW hours: M-Th 9am-7pm, Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 1pm-5pm
- Available services include browsing and checkout, 3 study rooms by reservation for HPL cardholders, tables and chairs on all 3 floors, newspapers, and 2 computers by reservation for HPL cardholders. An express computer is available for guests. Visits can be up to two hours per day.
- Masks and distancing required, two people maximum per study room and tables, no food or beverage.
- Is curbside still available?
- Yes! Curbside service is available from 10am-1pm Monday through Saturday. Learn more here.
- How can I stay connected to the Library?
- How can I check out materials?
- The Library is open for “grab and go” services including browsing and checkout. Contactless curbside pickup is also available for Hinsdale cardholders. Learn more about that service here.
- How can I download digital content?
- The Library offers eBooks, eAudiobooks, magazines, music, and movies for download or streaming. Get started at our Downloadables page.
- I don’t know my PIN. Can I reset it?
- Visit the Hinsdale Library catalog page and click My Account.
- I am a Hinsdale resident, but I don’t have a library card. Can I apply for one online?
- Yes, you can apply for a card online. A physical card will be mailed to you. Apply here.
- Can I return items or drop off donations?
- The outdoor book drop is available 24/7.
- Please do not hand anything directly to a staff member or return items anywhere but the book drop in Circle Drive.
- We cannot accept donations at this time. Please do not put donations in the book drop.
- I returned items, but they are still on my account.
- We are no longer quarantining items, but there still may be up to a 24-hour delay in removing items from your account.
- Can I get items from other libraries?
- Yes, items can be requested from other libraries.
- Will the Library have new materials?
- New items are being ordered, and we are processing as fast as the shipments come in!
- How are you handling and disinfecting materials?
- Due to current guidance and low surface transmission rate, we are no longer quarantining items.
- How are staff staying safe?
- All Library staff have access to personal protective equipment (PPE) and are trained on hygiene requirements and infection control practices. Inside the building, staff are practicing social distancing and handling materials only when necessary.
Programs and meetings
- Are there programs?
- Yes! All of our programs will be presented virtually or can take place at home with Library-provided materials. Check out our Events page.
- Are meeting and study rooms available for booking?
- The Library will keep meeting rooms closed due to staff spacing and storage needs. Three study rooms are available for reservation by HPL cardholders. Call 630.986.1976 or reserve online.
Trusted Resources for COVID-19
- Local and national sources for COVID-19 information is available here.