Library Services FAQ
FAQ: Library Services During COVID
- Is the Library open?
- The Library is open: M-Th 9am-9pm, Fri 9am-6pm, Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 1pm-5pm
- Most regular library services have resumed. Study rooms remain available for HPL cardholders only. Toys in Youth Services are being added slowly (and cleaned frequently). KidSmart early literacy computers are also available.
- Mask guidelines effective August 30:
- Masks are required for all. More on the state mandate here.
- Four people maximum per study room and table. Please do not move furniture.
- Please finish food or beverage before entering the Library.
- Is curbside still available?
- Curbside service is available by appointment only. Learn more here.
- How can I stay connected to the Library?
- How can I check out materials?
- The Library is open for browsing and checkout and other services. Contactless curbside pickup is also available for Hinsdale cardholders by appointment only. Learn more about that service here.
- How can I download digital content?
- The Library offers eBooks, eAudiobooks, magazines, music, and movies for download or streaming. Get started at our Downloadables page.
- I don’t know my PIN. Can I reset it?
- Visit the Hinsdale Library catalog page and click My Account.
- I am a Hinsdale resident, but I don’t have a library card. Can I apply for one online?
- Yes, you can apply for a card online. A physical card will be mailed to you. Apply here.
- Can I return items or drop off donations?
- The outdoor book drop is available 24/7.
- The book return in the lobby is available during regular Library hours.
- We cannot accept donations at this time. Please do not put donations in the book drop.
- Donations are accepted on the second Saturday of each month in Circle Drive. Bins are provided by Discover Books.
- I returned items, but they are still on my account.
- We are no longer quarantining items, but there still may be up to a 24-hour delay in removing items from your account.
- Can I get items from other libraries?
- Yes, items can be requested from other libraries.
- Will the Library have new materials?
- New items are being ordered and processed. Shipping delays and shortages have affected some deliveries.
- How are you handling and disinfecting materials?
- Due to current guidance and low surface transmission rate, we are no longer quarantining items.
- How are staff staying safe?
- All Library staff have access to personal protective equipment (PPE) and are trained on hygiene requirements and infection control practices. Inside the building, staff are practicing social distancing and handling materials only when necessary.
Programs and meetings
- Are there programs?
- Yes! A variety of programs are being presented virtually plus limited capacity indoor offerings. Take home activities are also available. Check out our Events page. Masks must be worn at all times during indoor programs, even for vaccinated participants. Outdoor events, when weather permits, require social distancing and/or masks for unvaccinated participants.
- Are meeting and study rooms available for booking?
- Meeting rooms and study rooms are available for reservation by HPL cardholders. Call 630.986.1976 or reserve online. The Quiet Room is also available.
Trusted Resources for COVID-19
- Local and national sources for COVID-19 information is available here.