Library Closure FAQ
FAQ: Library Services During Closure
- Is the Library open?
- We remain closed to the public.
- We will open with limited services on Tuesday, July 7.
- Why July 7?
- Our skylight project is wrapping up at the beginning of July. We picked the earliest date we could confidently expect to be disruption-free.
- What will the hours be?
- 10-6 Monday — Friday, 10-5 Saturday
- Will curbside still be available?
- Yes! We will offer curbside services from 9–1, Monday through Saturday.
- How can I stay connected to the Library?
- How can I check out materials?
- How can I download digital content?
- The Library offers eBooks, eAudiobooks, magazines, music, and movies for download or streaming. Get started at our Downloadables page.
- I don’t know my PIN. Can I reset it?
- Visit the Hinsdale Library catalog page and click My Account.
- I am a Hinsdale resident, but I don’t have a library card. Can I apply for one online?
- While we are closed, Hinsdale residents can apply for a digital card which gives immediate online-only access to the Library’s eBooks, eAudiobooks, streaming services, and research databases. Apply here.
- Can I return items or drop off donations?
- The book drop is open 9am-5pm Monday through Saturday.
- Please do not hand anything directly to a staff member or return items anywhere but the book drop in Circle Drive.
- We cannot accept donations at this time. Please do not put donations in the book drop.
- I had items checked out this spring. Will I have fines?
- Due dates from spring checkouts were extended until June 3. The Board of Trustees also made the decision to become fines free which means we will not charge for overdue items. We still need our items back, of course, so borrowing privileges will be suspended after items are 14 days overdue. After items are returned, we are quarantining them for 3 days. They will remain on your account during this time; your account will not be affected.
- Can I get items from other libraries?
- At this time, we are not able to get items from other libraries.
- Will the Library have new materials?
- Staff began ordering new items at the end of April and we are processing as fast as we can!
- How are you handling and disinfecting materials?
- Out of an abundance of caution, materials returned to HPL are quarantined for three days. We may review the quarantine period as we move forward.
- How are staff staying safe?
- All Library staff have access to personal protective equipment (PPE) and are trained on hygiene requirements and infection control practices. Inside the building, staff are practicing social distancing and handling materials only when necessary.
Programs and meetings
- Will the Library still have Summer Reading Clubs?
- Yes! Kids and teens can register online to pick up a kit and track their reading for a prize. Adults are asked to send in 5 titles they read, watch, or listen to. When we receive 50 entries, the Friends of the Library will donate $200 to HCS Family Services. Visit the SRC page to print your own logs to track your reading.
- Are there summer programs?
- Yes! All of our summer programs will be presented virtually or can take place at home with Library-provided materials. Check out our Events page.
- I was looking forward to some programs that were canceled. Will they be rescheduled?
- We hope to reschedule as many as possible or move them to a virtual format.
- Are meeting and study rooms available for booking?
- The Library will keep meeting rooms and study rooms closed until a new service phase allowing for group activity is reached.